PUNKOTTAWA.COM
SHOWS

General: VIEW TOPIC

You are not logged in. Feel free to login or to register a new username.

Subject: Biking through out the winter?
Pages: 1

: post reply: post new topic

Author: rocky_raccoon
Subject: Biking through out the winter?
Date: 01/14/10 4:59 pm

I want to continue biking to work through out the winter but have never attempt winter biking before. I was hoping people would have suggestions/ advise on how to make it easier or what to avoid doing. Can I just hop on my summer bike and go for a ride?

Any help is much appreciated

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: galipu
Subject:
Date: 01/14/10 5:39 pm

I'm in year 2 of doing it on my summer bike. I loosened the straps on my toeclips to accommodate boots but that's about all I changed. You can get studded tires and there are a few other tricks but if you feel confident in the summer, you should be ok.

You just have to bundle up like you're going skiing or something.

it's kind of like riding a bike.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: postman
Subject:
Date: 01/14/10 5:41 pm

- Avoid salt
- use a beater bike
- try to rinse it off as ofter as you can
- Lube your drivetrain often.
- Don't spend money on studded tires.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: Melody.
Subject:
Date: 01/14/10 8:31 pm

I do my winter riding in Toronto, where the streets are less snow-packed than Ottawa. That being said;

- I'm trying this winter on fixed gear. Hipster points aside, having braking power without worrying about brakes getting clogged is great.
- If fixed gear isn't your thing, single speed is also great. Derailleurs are a nightmare once they get gummed up. The more minimal the bike, the less maintenance.
- Oil your chain!
- Wipe off any salt build up ASAP. Keep moving parts (brake springs, shifters, etc) well-oiled.
- Oil your chain! (This needs to be said twice.)
- Some people like thick, knobby tires (cyclocross or mountain, depending on what you ride). Some go all out and get studded tires (which you can DIY with some old knobbies, lots of screws, and then a thick liner to protect your tube from the screw heads).
Many, myself included, stick to high-pressure skinny road slicks, which cut through the slush and grab under the pavement. I freely admit that any uneven terrain (hard-packed snow, mostly) is much trickier handling on the road tires. I don't see this too much in Toronto, your results may vary in Ottawa. I tried switching to a thinly treaded 28mm tire from my slicks, but the clearance on my bike is tight, and slush was dragging the wheel against the brakes. Check your clearances and see what your bike will allow.
- Full coverage fenders! Again, check the clearances so that snow doesn't pack up.
- Dress like you're skiing. I thought it was overkill, but now I swear by goggles and a snowboard helmet. Keeps your face much warmer and prevents drippy sinuses. A headband and a bandana under a normal bike helmet is perfectly warm.
- I wear my usual ski jacket, and wool gloves. Dedicated winter biking gloves in the <$40 range are either not warm enough, or don't breathe at all and will give you cold, clammy hands within three minutes of putting them on.
- Snowboarding pants are bulky, but are the warmest things available, and will keep you dry. I hold off on wearing them, and long johns or bike tights under rolled up jeans still kept me reasonable warm biking in -25 weather.
- You might want to protect your face when it's bitterly cold with a balaclava or face mask, but the condensation sucks. Lots of people wear scarves, but they never stay in place for me.
- I wear my usual winter hiking boots, with big plastic toe clips. Does the job.
- For maximum dorkitude, keep two sets of lights if you ride at night. Batteries will freeze, and having a backup is crucial. It's also beneficial to run two sets in sloppy conditions.
- Take your turns slowly. It's when you're turning that you're most likely to lose traction, so go wide and slow.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: rocky_raccoon
Subject:
Date: 01/14/10 9:02 pm

wicked tips! thanks so much!

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: Musky
Subject:
Date: 01/15/10 10:43 am

rocky_raccoon wrote:
wicked tips!

Yeah bro I did them myself, guy.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: distorted_image
Subject:
Date: 01/15/10 4:47 pm

seriously winter biking isn't tough. especially this winter. it would be a good idea to use a beater frame if you got a nice one. besides that i've just been riding my summer tires and all.. def get at least a rear fender though.
www.myspace.com/whalecry

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: galipu
Subject:
Date: 01/15/10 5:17 pm

I second a lot of what melody said.

To touch on the skinny tire thing...I use em in Ottawa but would advise against them if you don't bike in traffic during the summer. No matter what type of brake you have, you're going to skid/hydroplane

Having backup lights is a pretty great idea too. Batteries will freeze!

Winter flats are the worst. You are best to let your bike (or your rear wheel) warm up indoors before you replace the tube. Make sure that where ever you let the bike/wheel warm up, the floor is covered. It's going to get messy.

Musky for mayor

[ Reply with quote ]

Subject:
Date: 01/15/10 5:21 pm

galipu wrote:
Musky for chief.

[ Reply with quote ]

Subject:
Date: 01/16/10 5:44 pm

I also forgot to add on that having your lock freeze is the biggest pain in the ass ever. My cheap U-lock froze twice last winter before I bought a Kryptonite Evolution lock (the orange series).

I haven't heard of anyone with lock freezing issues when they have a decent lock that's oiled periodically. A lighter and some lock de-icer is a good thing to have on hand if your lock is stubborn.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: jaxim_mnaxim
Subject:
Date: 01/17/10 10:03 pm

Right on! Winter biking effectively ended my seasonal depression two years ago and I haven't looked back.

In my experience goggles are the key ingredient to a happy ride.

[ Reply with quote ]

: post reply: post new topic

Pages: 1