PUNKOTTAWA.COM
SHOWS

Band talk: VIEW TOPIC

You are not logged in. Feel free to login or to register a new username.

Subject: How do you write songs?
Pages: 1

: post reply: post new topic

Poll: When you write music, do you write anything down?
Nope, all memory: 
44%44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Just chords: 
11%11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
I have another system (which I explained above): 
44%44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

Author: Inuvikphil
Subject: How do you write songs?
Date: 09/08/08 11:25 am

This is something I find very interesting.

How do bands write songs that have so many complicated parts? Especially complicated metal riffs with stuff like odd timings, pauses, etc.

Do you write it down?

Do you have some kind of written count?

Do you have some kind of formula, like so many verses, choruses, etc?

How much do you use written music notation and chords?

Interesting things to discuss...

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: Hardcorepunk87
Subject:
Date: 09/08/08 5:22 pm

Well I'm not going to post a vote cause I have 2 answers. My old band I wrote all the music in Guitar Pro. Some of my complicated stuff is still written on it. But for the most part I can remember everything. With my current band we do it all by memory which can get kind of weird sometimes with the odd timings but that's why we practice.

Oh and my room mate records everything onto a tape recorder to kind of jog his memory to what songs sound like.

www.facebook.com/TheEpilogue

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: Punk in Drublic
Subject:
Date: 09/08/08 6:20 pm

I personally use Guitar Pro a lot for both writing down ideas aswell as writing songs on it. I also generally have the capability to remember something I came up with while fiddling around on guitar/bass most of the time.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: kingsofspazrock
Subject:
Date: 09/09/08 12:57 am

Usually when Obelysk! is coming up with songs, one of us comes up with a riff, we'll jam around on it for a couple hours, and then sometimes tab it out on paper. Otherwise we just try to remember what we can from playing it a certain number of times.

This doesn't always result in the song being the same in the end, but I guess we like to think it ends up better in the long run.

Lately though since we've been recording, we've had access to be able to record some of our jams for the first time, so it's interesting to see the differences when we record it the first time, and take out the pieces that don't sound right. In the end though I guess the memory jams work out better for us.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: DMmusic
Subject:
Date: 09/10/08 6:02 pm

When I'm writing songs for Bear the Witness I treat every song like a blank canvas and generally make it up as I go along (taking a leaf out of Dillinger Escape Plan's book). Usually I just throw traditional song structure right out the window.

In fact, if I'm writing something that sounds too predictable to my ears, I'll cut it up and rearrange it so that the listener will (hopefully) not know what's coming next.

It's a fun method and it works, or at least it does for me.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: 22_14
Subject:
Date: 09/10/08 7:33 pm

I am a Guitar Pro wizard. God granted me with that gift and I embrace it.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: DMmusic
Subject:
Date: 09/10/08 7:40 pm

22_14 wrote:
I am a Guitar Pro wizard. God granted me with that gift and I embrace it.

SO much better than Power Tab. My computer has been down for the past month and I've been stuck with PT, and it's such a step backward. I miss Guitar Pro.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: 8ve
Subject:
Date: 09/10/08 7:49 pm

Some ppl are so sick with guitar pro, its ridiculous! I never had the patience to write down more than 3 instruments.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: Ruckus
Subject:
Date: 09/10/08 9:33 pm

I swear by Powertab, personally (I don't understand how anybody finds GP better, but that's another discussion. I only have it for the drums). My songs are usually a little on the techy/wanky side and since I have perfect pitch there's a lot of 'computer writing' which equates to songs I can't actually play. Now that I'm recording my stuff more frequently though I've managed to avoid that.

[ Reply with quote ]

: post reply: post new topic

Pages: 1