PUNKOTTAWA.COM
SHOWS

General: VIEW TOPIC

You are not logged in. Feel free to login or to register a new username.

Subject: Conservative Majority
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

: post reply: post new topic

Author: postman
Subject:
Date: 05/12/11 9:02 pm

LČ wrote:
Oh hey and gas prices just shot up another--what another 6-8 cents??

I thought only the NDP caused gas prices to skyrocket? Remember when all the right-wing newspapers were fear mongering about this in the last week of April?

But I have total faith that the free Market will eventually even out---I mean it was already high when oil was $150 a barrel, now it's like 10-15 cents higher even tho oil has dropped to $90 a barrel. I assume the extra costs are to pay off all the lobbyists/yellow journalists big oil hired to warn us about how much worse things would be with an NDP government.

It's probably our own fault for considering changing governments!

Its about time you start taking responsibility for making consideration. lol.

But seriously,Global demand for oil is ever increasing and Canada is fortunate or unfortunate enough (depends how you look at it) to have one of the worlds largest supplies of its main ingredient.

Regulating gas prices and consequently the amount we supply to the rest of the world would become quite the tricky endeavor. Frankly I have no faith in our government to manage this efficiently no matter which party is governing.

Lower domestic prices,and corps will sell internationally. throttle oil exports and you miss out on on the deficit reducing income. You also risk losing you clients to other oil producing nations. You also reduce the corporations ability to invest in cost reducing extracting methods or cleaner extracting methods for that mater.

Now add all the administrative cost. Sure you create jobs, but your not creating any value.

If there is one thing you rarely hear in political debates is the creating value vs creating jobs point of view.

People here program X will create 10000 new jobs and immediately tell themselves «WOW !That's super swell». unfortunately the program generates 1000 000 $ in value but we pay 2 000 000 to run it.

Net result, the consumer is stuck fronting the bill... not at the pump. YAY !, but through various taxes.

So now instead of the gasoline consumers paying for the product they are using, the cost is spread out on everybody ! Including those of us who bike or Rollerblade to or work, those of us who use public transportation or carpool.

The only regulation I would be totally in favor would be to tax corporation on profit tears.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: estee.tabernac
Subject:
Date: 05/12/11 10:00 pm

LČ wrote:
estee tabarnac wrote:

actually gas prices dropped today

dude, you need to get to Trill, because I think your body needs a new symbiont.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/05/12/gasoline-thursday.html

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: malcolm
Subject:
Date: 05/14/11 1:57 am

If it wasn't for McGuinty and his HST, gas would be around $1.20 and not $1.30.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author:
Subject:
Date: 05/14/11 1:03 pm

Explain to me how Dalton McGuinty is responsible for skyrocketing oil prices across North America or how the HST is responsible for gas prices being higher now than it was when barrels of oil cost $60 more?

It's funny that we feel more comfortable placing blame on scapegoats than waking up to the idea that the way our economic system works doesn't synch up with the rhetoric of it's most die-hard supporters.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author:
Subject:
Date: 05/14/11 1:55 pm

estee.tabernac wrote:
LČ wrote:
estee tabarnac wrote:

actually gas prices dropped today

dude, you need to get to Trill, because I think your body needs a new symbiont.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/05/12/gasoline-thursday.html

Do you even read your own links?

"Tonight’s drop in gas prices is certainly welcome news, [but] refineries in Canada continue to charge an unacceptable premium of five to eight cents per litre above world price for wholesale gasoline," the website, run by former member of Parliament Dan McTeague, said Wednesday.

"This is unacceptable and warrants the attention of public policymakers in Canada to set aside the nonsense advanced by the industries' apologists that the price you pay is based on market fundamentals."

I mean holy fuck man, I know you're an idiot but you could at least make an effort. You're just getting lazy IMO.

[ Reply with quote ]

: post reply: post new topic

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9